Lena Thynell: Plein Air watercolor painting in Southern Spain
I: 1-8. May, 2021
II: 8-15 May, 2021
Price: from 1.150 €
Join me, Lena Thynell, for a week of watercolor painting at the beautiful Garden of Lemons, located in Valle de Lecrín south of Granada, Spain.
We will be painting from life, “Plein Air”, capturing what surrounds us. It could be the landscape, the beautiful garden, or the quaint little town. I will give demos focusing on light, values, composition and simplification. You will have lots of time to paint. All skill levels are welcome.
This workshop is for all skill levels. If you are new to watercolor painting or not used to paint outdoors, don’t worry. It will be a great opportunity to try something new in the company of friends in a relaxed environment.
If you are mostly used to painting in your studio from photos and would like to paint in the outdoors with new friends, this workshop is for you.
If you need individual instruction, there will be time for that too. In many of my previous workshops I have mixed beginners with more experienced students, as we all learn from each other.
Being outdoors, painting is very inspiring, as my paintings come alive in a way that is quite different from those paintings created in my studio.
I started to explore the watercolor medium 20 years ago. Since then I have gained many years of experience as a watercolor instructor. I will show you my approach to outdoor painting, how to capture the light and create depth. How to simplify a complicated scene and work with a limited palette. During your stay here, let us be inspired by the surroundings and create beautiful paintings together.
If you are new to watercolor painting or not used to paint outdoors, don’t worry. It will be a great opportunity to try something new in the company of friends in a relaxed environment. You do not need to purchase any extra equipment for the Plein Air painting. Each participant will get one painting table, and each table comes with a garden umbrella. Boards are available to bring along if we paint outside the property. There will be 6 days of painting and exploring this beautiful place. You will be offered a few excursions during the week, and you decide if you would like to join the group.
You are welcome to bring your spouse. There are trails for walking around the property, and you may take a swim in the pool. The owners and organizers Henrik and Ingo, who are from Denmark, will make their best to make our stay comfortable.
Throughout the week, the house’s own chef Henrik creates the most delicious meals, and each will stimulate all the senses. The menu is not exclusively vegetarian, but it’s focus is on the green kitchen, where the best raw materials from the garden and local markets meet the magic of saffron, cumin, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, nutmeg, pomegranates, lemons, oranges and almonds. You will experience a kitchen that is like taken out of the fairy tales of a thousand and one night, and it is our
goal to inspire both the curiosity and the palate in a sensuous and fragrant week. Next to his career as a musician, Henrik has been working with food for many years, among others working at a 2 star Michelin
restaurant in Paris.
Garden of Lemons is a retreat centre for those seeking spirit, education, experiences and tranquility in beautiful surroundings.
Said by guests at Garden of lemons:
“Totally unique experience, this is a wonderful place for watercolor courses!
It was a unique experience, with Henrik Vilain and Ingo Schauser as the world’s best hosts: present, attentive, at the same time relaxed and intense, in an environment you can only dream of, with a pink sky over blue mountains in the morning, and then the scents and visions of orange trees, roses, wild herbs, figs and almost transparent grapes against the sky.
And Henrik’s food, which is incomparably beautiful, tasty, healthy and satisfying in the best way. To write books and make movies about.”
Susanne Langer, Copenhagen
- Day 1: Arrival during the afternoon, accommodation, welcome dinner at the Garden of Lemons
- Day 2: Teaching, all meals, guided tour of the village in the afternoon
- Day 3: Teaching, breakfast, lunch (trip to Granada + dinner arranged, optional)
- Day 4: Teaching, all meals
- Day 5: Teaching, all meals
- Day 6: Education, breakfast, lunch, possibility for excursion, dinner at restaurant, optional
- Day 7: Teaching, all meals, summing up and ending
- Day 8: Return home
Changes in this program may occur. The course will be advertised in the Nordic countries and in the USA, where I have been living for a few years. To the extent that we receive English speaking participants, I will switch between Swedish and English when I speak to the group.
Price: 1.150 €
- transfer between Malaga Airport and Garden of Lemons
- accommodation in a double room in the hotel, 15 min. walk from the Garden of Lemons –
- by addition it is possible to stay overnight at the retreat centre itself. See below. For more information click here: accommodation
- full catering according to day program:
- breakfast and lunch every day
- 5 dinners at Garden of Lemons
- 3 walks / inspiration tours in the immediate area
- tuition 6 days (price for companions who do not wish to participate in tuition: 700 €)
Not included in the price:
- flight voluntary excursions
- 2 dinners at the restaurant
- drinks that can be bought at reasonable prices
- single room in hotel: + 120 €
- double room at Garden of Lemons + 130 €
- single room at Garden of Lemons: + 280 €
Registration and information:
- You register by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org .They will return with confirmation, details and information about payment.
- At the same time you send me an email Lena@LenaThynellWatercolor.com with your name, address and phone number so I know you / you have registered.
- I will send you a list of suggested materials to bring in advance of the course.
- Questions about payment, accommodation, transport, food and more: email Henrik and Ingo at Garden of Lemons, email@example.com or phone Ingo: 0045 53 68 97 77
- Please note that if you have food allergies, please inform Henrik and Ingo by email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Questions about the course and its contents: Lena@LenaThynellWatercolor.com
- Phone: +1 814-777-8532, tel when I stay in Sweden +46 736-362720
- I can be reached via Viber, Whats App, FaceTime and Skype.
This is my first course at the Garden of Lemons and I hope it can be an annual feature.
Lena Lena Thynell Pennsylvania, USA